Course grant



A grant to help cover course costs for part-time students who started before 2012 - for example, textbooks and travel. You do not have to pay this back. 

Who can receive it?


Part-time higher education students whose courses last at least a year, and who started before 2012. How much you receive will depend on your income and the “intensity” of the course (how much longer it takes than a full-time course.) To get the course grant, your course can’t take more than twice as long as the full-time course would. If you live with a partner, their income will also be included in the assessment.

When to apply and when you receive it


You need to hand in the application form to your university when you start your course. Once you have been on your course for two weeks, the form will come back to you with your attendance, intensity and fees confirmed. You must then send it to Student Finance England to receive your grant. The grant will be paid in one installment at the beginning of the academic year.

How to apply


Application forms are available from Student Finance England. You will need to provide proof of income, but you get the maximum support automatically if you are on Income Support, Housing Benefit, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Council Tax Benefit, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or New Deal Allowance.