Fee grant



A grant to help cover the tuition fees for a part-time higher education course if you started before 2012.The amount you get depends on your household income, the ‘intensity’ of your course and the actual fees you pay.

Who can receive it?


Part-time higher education students whose courses last at least a year and who started before 2012. How much you receive will depend on your income and the “intensity” of the course (how much longer it takes than a full-time course.) To get the fee grant, your course can’t take more than twice as long as the full-time course would. If you live with a partner, their income will also be included in the assessment.

If you started in 2012 or later, you can get the tuition fee loan instead.

When to apply and when you receive it


You need to hand in the application form to your university when you start your course. Once you have been on your course for two weeks, the form will come back to you with your attendance, intensity and fees confirmed. You must then send it to Student Finance England to receive your grant. The Fee Grant is paid directly to the university.

How to apply


Application forms are available from Student Finance England. You will need to provide proof of income, but you get the maximum support automatically if you are on Income Support, Housing Benefit, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Council Tax Benefit, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or New Deal Allowance. Part of the application form must be filled in by your university.