Maintenance grant

Maintenance grants are no longer available for new students. If you start university now, you'll get a bigger maintenance loan instead.



A non-repayable grant to help you cover living expenses. If you started in 2012 or later, this is up to £3,387.

The amount you get depends on your annual income. If you get the grant, it will reduce the size of your Maintenance Loan.

Who can receive it?


Students doing their first full-time undergraduate higher education course (excluding students on NHS-funded courses). Whether you receive it and how much you can get depends on your household income. You must have lived in the UK for three years before studying.

When to apply and when you receive it


You should apply for this grant along with your other student finance in the year before you start your course. Apply as early as possible to make sure you get your finance in time.

Your grant will be paid in three instalments, one at the start of each term. It will only be paid once you have arrived at university and registered.

How to apply


You can apply online through the Student Finance England website, or send them a paper form. You can apply for the maintenance grant, the maintenance loan, the tuition fee loan and additional grants like the Parents Learning Allowance with the same form. You will need to supply evidence of your income in order to be assessed for this grant.

External Links