Social Work Bursary



Money from the NHS for people training in social work. This covers your tuition fees and helps with living costs. You can also get a contribution towards travel costs during a placement. The NHS also offers allowances similar to the Childcare Grant and Parents' Learning Allowance.

Who can receive it?


Anyone studying a social work course approved by the General Social Care Council (GSCC), as long as they are not being paid as part of their course (this includes employment-based courses and having part of your tuition fees paid.)

When to apply and when you receive it


Apply after you get the results of your main Student Finance application, as the results will be used as part of your application for the bursary. The bursary is paid straight into your bank account in three lump sums, one at the start of each term.

How to apply


You might be sent an application form when you are offered a place on an eligible course. You can also get a form from the NHS bursaries website. You will need to provide proof of identity. Even if you don’t want to receive the Maintenance Loan or Maintenance Grant you still have to send a Student Finance application. This is because the NHS uses the result of your application to decide whether you can get the bursary.

External Links



NHS-funded student?

The Calculator can't yet estimate how much NHS bursary you receive. However, you can get an estimate from the NHS Bursary Calculator.