Tax Credits



Payments from the Government for parents and people on low incomes. There are two types: Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits.

Who can receive it?


Parents and people who work but are on a low income can receive tax credits. What you could receive depends on circumstances including how many children you have, your income and your partner’s income. Most parents will qualify for some level of tax credit, but if you claim the Childcare Grant, you won't qualify for the childcare element of Working Tax Credits.

When to apply and when you receive it


Tax credits are not part of student finance, so you can apply at any time. They are paid weekly or monthly, and you will need to renew your claim in April each year.

How to apply


You can register for tax credits at your local Job Centre Plus.